عسل الصمغ الأحمر
Why Consume Red Gum Honey?
The flowering season of the Eucalyptus Camaldulenisistree, otherwise known as the River Red Gum Tree, is not just glad news for the bees but beekeepers too. The amber-colored medium consistent Red Gum Honey produced from the flowers of the Red Gum tree is delicious, nourishing, and healing.
The Red Gum tree is a species of Eucalypts growing along the river banks and watercourses of the Australian mainland. Though it is mainly used as a timber tree, the flowering season of Red Gum trees keeps the bees busy pollinating the blossoms and breeding hives.
To produce Red Gum Honey, the honey bees will primarily pollinate the blossom of the Red Gum tree. Unfortunately, the tree blooms only for two months, from December to January, with a cluster of 4 to 14 flowers. Since the bloom doesn't last for a long time, Red Gum Honey is considered a rare category of honey.
The healing property of Red Gum Honey
Honey, without any doubt, has been used as a natural healing agent for ages. The effectiveness of Red Gum Honey is measured based on its TA (Total Activity), which is nothing but its antimicrobial property.
Bees add an enzyme called glucose oxidase to the honey they produce after foraging on the Australian native Red Gum tree's blossoms. Glucose oxidase catalyzes the oxidation of glucose to produce hydrogen peroxide. This Hydrogen peroxide which has antimicrobial properties, works wonders when used for healing.
Honey, with a TA rating of more than 10, has powerful antimicrobial properties. Jarrah Asal's Red Gum Honey has a 35+ TA rating proving it to be the best quality honey available in the market.
Characteristics of Red Gum Honey
Wondered how to identify a premium quality Red Gum Honey? Of course, by checking the TA activity. But how does the Red Gum Honey look, feel, taste and smell?
- Colour: When it is in liquid form, it is between rich golden and dark amber color. But when kept at a cooler temperature, it crystalizes and turns out to be brown.
- Consistency: Red Gum Honey has a firm texture when stored still. But it becomes more fluid when stirred or moved because of its little water content.
- Flavor: It has 20% glucose and 80% fructose and hence tastes less sweet than other types of honey. But it is majorly sweet with a mild salty taste.
Health benefits of consuming Red Gum Honey
Due to the antibacterial property and high viscosity, Red Gum Honey has several health benefits.
- The low moisture content and pH level of honey speed wound healing by serving as a protective barrier during infection.
- The antibacterial property helps relieve symptoms of cold and flu.
- Clears digestive disorders by relieving constipation and gastritis.
- The polyphenols and flavonoid contents give it antioxidant properties.